So, this kid asked me that once, "you go to church a lot, huh?" Mid-chew on my PB&J, the best response I could manage was, "uhhh, I guefffth tho." Not the most powerful testimony ever shared, but how was I supposed to know that I would have a missionary experience on Mormon hill during lunch? It turns out that this guy had been "watching us", a little creepy for sure, but by that, he went on to explain, he had noticed that the Mormons all came to school together after going to church first, everyday! I hadn't really realized how strange that was until this guy brought it up. I DO go to church a lot, huh?!
Anyway, long story short, I was putting time and energy into going to church, and in a few years, I would be giving all my time to the church as a missionary. I wondered if I was really someone that could do that. Was I churchy enough for all that? Was it even worth it? Then one day in seminary, I read about Captian Moroni telling Zerahemnah that his strength and all-around awesomeness actually came from his religion and his faith in Christ.That got me thinking, I want to be like Moroni, and I have religion... I'm working on my faith. I decided to read the Book of Mormon looking for ways that I could be stronger, like Moroni. That changed just about everything, I was studying with a purpose, and I wanted to use what I was learning. For the first time in my life, I felt like the Book of Mormon was written for me, and I actually could be stronger because of the Atonement.
I know the Book of Mormon is true, I have read it, I have prayed about it, and tried hard to live what I've learned from it. I know that the Book of Mormon is about the plan of salvation, and that Jesus Christ actually wants to save me! The more I learned, the more I wanted to share what I had with everyone.
These days, I am alright with being churchy, Moroni helped me with that, but, believe it or not, I still need help with other things, so this year I am going to be looking for things that will help me be a good dad and husband (something tells me Moroni could help with that one too). Keeping a journal of what I find will help me hang on to the principles, and that is kind of what this blog is all about. Also, I like talking about the scriptures with people who are also studying them, if you have a comment, please tell me. The links to other blogs on this page are to people who are reading the Book of Mormon and sharing what they find; It's kind of like a scripture blog commune. If you would like to be part of this, just let me know, we'll talk.
I am excited to see what the Book of Mormon has in store this year. This is going to be an adventure!
Alma 6
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment